car transmission shop service problem money customer warranty vehicle truck
Terrible experience. Do not take your car here. Gross misconduct and fraud with diagnosis. Drove in car on May 23rd and it was towed out 3 weeks later. They could not fix the problem and made 3 repairs along the way that cost $3,000. Here is what is filed with Better...

Can not speak More Kindly about Aamco in Tampa. There is reason they won Customer Service Award.

One anonymous Pissed Off Customer should not even be given credence. Probably written by a competitor.

Review
I went to this AAMCO service center to fix a problem caused from a transmission rebuild from a different aamco in Georgia and for a check engine light issue. I was told the wrong part was put inside which was causing the shfiting problems and the parking brake not...

I am deeply concerned to hear of your dissatisfaction. In fact, I have become the new owner of this AAMCO center within the last 30 days.

I fully recognize the value of satisfied customers. Unfortunately, the actions of the previous owner as you describe them reflect poorly on the automotive repair industry and for that, I apologize. It is my intention to be judged based on my actions and not the actions of another.

I hope you will give me an opportunity to make you a fan of my business. Please call me directly at (973-993-9777 - Vince

Told me compressor was bad 2 yrs in a row | Aamco review from Las Vegas, Nevada

Two years in a row my Kia vans air conditioning started blowing hot air. Two years in a row I was told my compressor went out, and two years in a row I was charged over $1000.00 for the repair. This summer same thing started blowing hot air again, but I took Kia van somewhere else and was told if the compressor was bad it would not blow any air at all. I found out today it was leak in the hose. Compressors won't blow any air at all. I was taken for over $2000.00. BAD COMPANY!

AAMCO Needs better customer service

Update by user Jun 29, 2011

I went to a different AAMCO in Fridley Minnesota and they tell me there’s a problem with my down shift on my truck and will need to take out my transmission on my truck to see what is wrong with it. I told them that it was fine and they told me that I should contact the shop where I got the transmission rebuilt at.

that they say at my original shop they refuse to say there is a problem. The shop owner in Fridley gave me a number to a shop in Maplewood. I call them and talked to the shop manager and he told me if there was a problem his shop would find it and repair it.

I brought my truck over there after 5 days ago, I have to call them for an update. They still have not gotten the transmission out. Then 2 days later they call me and tell me my clutch is bad and don\'t worry it won\'t cost you anything.

Then he begins to tell me my 4 wheel drive transfer case is bad and that would cost $900.00. So I told them I would think about it. I tried to call the AAMCO customer service line and they never pick up.

I got 1 phone call from them at the weirdest hours and they give me a number to call 800-523-0401 ext. 312. I call this number and no one picks up. I am tired of the run around this has taken up at least 20 hours of my own time and a lot of fuel.

I paid a lot of money for a transmission rebuild and it was never fixed since the day I got it back. If there are any lawyers or anyone that can help me please post below and let me know what my rights are. I really need to know what I can do legally.

Update by user Jun 16, 2011

This is what I got when I emailed Corporate Dear Mr.k We contacted the Anoka AAMCO franchise who acknowledges that your vehicle requires warranty repair which they are willing to complete. They have indicated that there is an unpaid balance remaining on the original repair bill.

You should be aware that the AAMCO warranty states that it is null and void if you fail to pay for the original repair. Please contact Anoka AAMCO at once at 763-421-5001 to arrange to reinstate your coverage.

AAMCO Customer Support.

I paid in full. and have a receipt to prove it that says paid in full.

Update by user Jun 16, 2011

Ok I get my transmission fixed in my Ford truck in 11/20/2010 the transmission never seemed to shift right since I got the truck back went and complained to them a few times and said the transmission need to break in. I let it break in and it still does not shift right.

Them a week ago my over drive light starts to flash and it will not upshift. They have not called me 1 time to tell me what’s going on. They say the temp gage in my transmission is broken and reading at 500 degrees. I call them to get an update and they tell me I need a new computer in my truck and do not tell me it will be $100 but don’t worry we will take care of the labor.

Now if I have to pay extra should they should have called me. am I right? Also they never call me to update me on what’s going on or even when the repair work is done.

This is also wrong am I right? For $2,500 worth of work you would think they would treat you better.

Update by user Jun 13, 2011

They also never call when my car is done being fixed I have to call all the time to figure out what\'s going on. Also the guy that works there always calls me buddy.

I am not your buddy. guy.

Original review posted by user Jun 13, 2011

I got my transmission rebuilt by AAMCO in Anoka Minnesota. 1 day after driving my truck after it was fixed it was not shifting right. I brought my truck to 3 other transmission shops and they said there was something wrong and to bring it back to where it was repaired. I brought it in and the guy at AAMCO said that the timing was off and that the transmission needed to break in. I broke in the transmission and it still does not work right. Everyone I have look at it laughs and says I got ripped off. Now my over drive light is flashing on my truck and it's not shifting out of second gear. Same problem I had when I brought it in there. I paid a lot of money to get my transmission fixed and it's not working I tell the guys at AAMCO and they seem to not care and rush me out the door please help me fix this problem. I also had the brakes and rotors fixed and they feel like they're slipping .

I got my car recently repaired (transmission) at aamco in Dover, De. Ever since I have gotten my car back the battery does not hold a charge leaving me and my car stranded at the worst possible times.

I have taken my car back for repair at least three time and they tell me the battery is defective. How many batteries do you have to put in a car before you start checking other things??

Service
Aamco Customer Care
My car developed the transmission problem, so I called Aamco at Matawan and Gary (the owner) advised to bring the car by 2 pm so it could be checked and repair estimated by 5pm. Brought the car on time and was told by Cassandra (Fleet manager) to expect the call at...

Very Disappointed in this place and I feel bad writing this, but I must warn other patrons . This AAMCO came highly recommended by my friends, but sadly all of them are now taking their business elsewhere after my unfortunate experience.

AAMOC in Matawan  replaced a part in my car that was recently replaced by another AAMCO.  When it was brought to their attention, they did absolutely NOTHING to try to rectify it stating it may have been defective??   They had the chance to honor a warranty and they choose not to do it.

At this point I believe they may be running some kind of a scam.   Beware of this place.

Never use Aamco in Hagersown, md

I took my jeep there to get the AC unit tested/repaired told them also that there was an issue with the car not going into gear properly. Please check. They said it would be fixed that day. Called at end of day said no part came in had to keep it was torn apart that was a friday so they couldn't have it back to me until MONDAY. Monday no call then finally they said they would call me back I had to call them again and they said ac is fixed but it won't go in gear now. I went up there and they said 1000.00 for ac but can't drive it. needs new transmission. They are a transmission place and didn't check everything per their motto? I was taken advantage of I told them that needed checked but no they fixed the ac first and charged me. I should have had the option to have that fixed or the more necessary transmission fixed. Now i am still without a car BUT i have AC. They were rude and took advantage of a woman. I had it towed out of their place after telling them exactly what I thought of them. Do not take your car there they will rip you off. I feel they disabled my jeep's tranmission after fixing my air to make more money off me!
Review
#242034 Review #242034 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Loss
I took my 98 Honda in because the transmission was leaking no problem with the transmission just leaking thinking no big deal to get it fixed at a place that specializes in transmissions. WRONG! The 1st owner of the Aamco told me that it would be $1,000 to fix it the...

That really sucks....and that is one of the worst stories I have read...every trans shops have cars that are difficult or misdiagnosed...but the owner swap makes it worse....new owners never want to fix things for free....but had they done their job right then you would referring friends...I don't blame your anger and they didn't deserve you business. They will lose more money treating customers so poorly then they can save by avoiding repairs.

STAY AWAY FROM AAMCO

I had my transmission rebuild in 2/10. Three months after services, I notice a little fluid on the ground. I brought my car back to Aamco in 5/10, 8/10 & 12/10 same reason and was told maybe too much fluid. 5/2011 I went in again spoke to a Manager, and explained all above. He told me it was a leak from the transmission (axel??) and he would have it fixed under the warranty since this was an on-going problem. 5/21/2011 told me I had to pay at least half for my services!! y

Bad mechanics at Aamco

Do not go to the Aamco on Reservoir Street in Haarisonburg, VA. I brought my car there in Feb 2011 for a sudden lack of power and accelaration. They told me I needed a complete tune up. Even I knew a car that needed a tune up would exhibit signs of that failure over time, not all at once. I asked them to check other things first including the catalytic converter. The mechanic called me back and said nothing else was wrong. They did a complete tune up and charged me over $500 only to call me the day I was supposed to pick up the car and told me they were wrong, it was the converter after all. I asked for all the parts back that they took out for the tune up. They told me they would give them all back to me , and reduce the charges because they knew they did work that wasn't needed. Then a week later charged the full amount to to my credit card. Reported them to BBB
#362019

Evolution Motor Works Naples FL. Porches and Audi Shop.

"they do not know anything about car performances" will charge you double and you will get a bad service and poor quality.

Stay away from these people. This comment is in memory of my car.

Another sad and unhappy ex-customer

#362017

Bad mechanics, they don't know anything about car performances.

View more comments (1)
Loss

Ripped me off | Aamco review from Woodland, California

I went to AAMCO to check out my tranny and they charged me $285 just to tell me that my band needed to be changed, and it would cost $2500 to fix so i started calling other shops and they said they would have check it for free and one shop would have charged $90 to check and to fix it would only cost 900 how can a company just take your money like that and get away with this, i called them to see if they would refund me some of my money and they told me no and hung up on me not very nice people

You can remove the trans and replace just the band, but there is usually other problems which result in an overhaul...unless you have low miles... I find it wrong that they charged that much money to tell you about your band unless its a ford explorer..here's why....you will skip gears on a shift....you have to verify the computer is sending the power to the solenoid....then you have to check the band adjustment...if that fails you have to pull the exhaust and verify that it's not just a broken servo...that all takes a lot of time...but any one of those things can cause the problem...if it was a broken servo piston for $400.00 they would have been hereos... Good diagnostics aren't cheap and most customers save money when the proper checks are done....sadly some shops will sell them an exchange trans when a minor repair can fix the car....you will find these good and bad things at every shop...find a mechanic you trust...the best way is to ask friends and the places that treat you well will usually have better mechanics ...the best mechanics are expensive...so stay away from shops that are the cheapest...they cannot afford good mechanics and bad diagnostics cost you the consumer

Lynette H

They ripe people off. They don't fix the problem, they adjust it so you have to go back and spend more money or you're basicly screwed!

:( I learned the hard way too.

They cost me my engine and now I'm out a car. always take the issure to BBB they are totally on your side.

AAMCO is a scam. I live in the Dallas area (Irving) and went through something similar.

I have never been so screwed over in my entire life. AAMCO's standard answer is there is too much fluid in the transmission and it's leaking from the axle.

I learned this after sinking $3,000 and at least a dozen trips back over a year's time because the tranny still leaked. Don't take your car to AAMCO...you'll regret it!

You made a huge mistake going there in the first place. Yes, they overcharged you and ripped you off on an item that should have only caused $90.

You're lucky they only got you for $285 instead of the THOUSANDS they would have reemed you for if you had kept your car there and agreed to the major repairs.

Aamco is, and always has been a scam. Don't fall for their clever TV ads. They're crooked thieves who know more about scamming then fixing transmissions.

But you did learn a fairly cheap lesson. Next time go to a real shop from the get go.

View more comments (3)