Tampa, Florida

Terrible experience. Do not take your car here.

Gross misconduct and fraud with diagnosis. Drove in car on May 23rd and it was towed out 3 weeks later. They could not fix the problem and made 3 repairs along the way that cost $3,000. Here is what is filed with Better Business Bureau and there are similar filings.

COMPLAINT: Misconduct, misleading, and fraudulent diagnosis committed over 8 times over a 3 week period.

Misleading diagnosis to complete partial repair. Fraud. Said car repair required certain items when other conditions required repair to remedy. Intentional misrepresentation of diagnosis and estimate.

Fraud. Grossly negligent misdiagnosis leading to life threatening breakdown while family is in car. On May 23rd, I drove my car into AAMCO from a business trip to Miami. Unfortunately, it is now not drivable and was towed back to me, at my expense nonetheless.

May 23rd, I dropped off the car. AAMCO said they would diagnose the car problems and get back to me. They charged me a fee to do this diagnosis. May 24th.

Diagnosis complete (turned out to be first of 8+). They said a driveshaft replacement would fix the problem. $895 repair. May 27th.

I was told work was done and car could be picked up May 31st. May 31st. I was told that car was re-diagnosed. Now required Driver side spindle and knuckle.

Required driver side front axle. Estimate was another $900. I was told this would repair the car. Keep in mind, the car was in the shop since May 23rd and was diagnosed on May 24th.

It had not moved since then and now needed more repairs. AAMCO had the car and was the only party that could have damaged the front axle, wheel, spindle, and knuckle between May 24th and May 31st. The only other condition was that AAMCO misdiagnosed this on May 24th. June 4th.

Misdiagnosis. I received a phone call that my car was ready. They later called and said it was not ready. June 7th.

I received a call that they diagnosed the car again. They believed now that the transfer case motor required repair. They said that the repair would cost another $650. Keep in mind, the car was in the shop since May 23rd and was diagnosed on May 24th.

It had not moved since then and now needed more repairs. AAMCO had the car and was the only party that could have damaged the transfer case between May 24th and June 7th. The only other condition was that AAMCO misdiagnosed this on May 24th. June 9th.

I was told that the ordered part did not fit into my car. I was told that they had to send back because I had 4 WD. Keep in mind, the car was a four wheel drive car in the first place. This should not have caused a problem in parts order.

June 10th. I was told that the ordered part did not fit into my car. I was told that my car is 4 WD partial time and the ordered part was for 4WD full time. Again, keep in mind, the car was 4WD part-time when it was manufactured.

The VIN number should provide this information. June 13th. They showed me the ordered part. They were describing how they can not find this part to fit my car.

June 14th. I contacted AAMCO in Clearwater for help. They spoke with AAMCO in Tampa. My correct part was ordered within one day and then installed.

AAMCO Hillsborough completed misdiagnosis and misconduct. June 15th/16th. I was told the repair was done. I was asked to pick up my car.

I was told the car was test driven at 50-60mph to ensure no rattling. I was told to bring car back in after 500 miles. June 18. Car has a fatal breakdown.

Loss of brakes and power steering while in gear. Almost hit a lightpole with wife and 8 year old daughter in car. June 20. Car towed to AAMCO.

After driving into AAMCO on May 23rd, car is being towed back. June 21. AAMCO diagnosed the repair again. Said the repair was required in the motor and not the tranmission after all.

They wanted to charge me 4 hours for diagnosis and then additional money for repair.

Keep in mind. This was not diagnosed on May 24.

Comments

Can not speak More Kindly about Aamco in Tampa. There is reason they won Customer Service Award.

One anonymous Pissed Off Customer should not even be given credence. Probably written by a competitor.

Had a catalytic converter and muffler installed. Asked if I wanted a Flowmaster muffler for a few dollars more, so I agreed.

When I got my car back it sounded like *** After getting home I got under the car and checked it out. There was No Flowmaster muffler or OEM catalytic converter. They installed all generic parts.

They are a fraud and hope you don't notice! STAY AWAY!!!

I've been to the same garage. Although I don't have problems with the work, so far, my car was scratched and they refused to admit it.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice till the next day.

As I've looked around, there are grease marks all over the body and rust like marks on the back seat and trunk. I won't use them again.

If I were at your place and was stuck in the scenario you have described above, I should’ve gone for a second opinion in not less than 2 days time when they were flooding me with daily phone calls and asking for more charges and expenses. I am wondering why you kept on picking up every phone call and relying on whatever they are telling you if you had to end up writing such a long story of your bad experiences with them? Moreover, after calling up their branches in Clearwater and Hillsborough, the problems with your car were fixed then why you didn’t think of taking this step earlier?

You kept on paying huge bills without taking any second opinions from anywhere else. That shows some bravery and a fully loaded bank account as well... :).

I also got my car repaired from the same AAMCO Transmission few weeks ago and my experience was completely different from yours. I actively participated in all the discussions and diagnosis statuses and was not charged unnecessarily.

Aamco Reviews