Sanford, Florida

So my transmission went into limp mode on March 6th, 2011. I called around and AAMCO did a FREE inspection. I dropped it off to AAMCO on March 7th, 2011. When Darryl, at AAMCO (2810 Cortez Rd W. Bradenton, FL 34207) called me back after the free inspection, he mentioned that their scanner codes said that "the problem was internal". Darryl said "in order to diagnose the problem it would be $400 to take the transmission out to inspect". After this I called around for a second opinion. Thankfully I did so.

I picked up my vehicle from AMMACO very next morning, March 8th, 2011, I was confronted by Darryl with "my manager would like to talk to you about your vehicle and possibly buying your vehicle from you". Frankly I was appalled by this jester. As I had mentioned that I need to use this vehicle for myself and business. The manager of the store went on and on about how it would cost approximately $1,600 to repair my transmission and that I was getting a discount. The manager started showing me countless other repairs on his computer system of similar repair type ranging from $1,900 to over $3,000. That is "IF" we do not find anything else wrong. Then the manager started to tell me if I took it to another shop that isn't a major chain store like AAMCO (with 82 locations in Florida alone) the repair wouldn't be guaranteed as well as theirs. And if I drove it away now the transmission might got out for good. I told him no thanks, and that I found a cheaper repair shop and the grind really started by the manager.

The next day (March 9th, 2011) I took my vehicle to another local shop. This shop told me that they did the same diagnostics that AMMCO did and found that the problem was NOT internal. The show said it could be solved by replacing a $300 part. A part that is a very common part that goes out on my type of vehicle. When I got the call saying that with everything I did to get the van back on the road it would be touch over $400. I was relieved. And on March 9th, 2011 I was back on the road in my van.

I never received any paperwork that my vehicle was even there. No written estimates, No paperwork stating that they even had my vehicle. Do your research. I find this business practice by AMMCO flat out shameful!

Comments

The local transmission shop replaced the solenoid valve assembly located on the outside of the transmission. Not the inner as AAMCO told me. The local transmission shop said it was a distinct code that told him it was the solenoid valve assembly.

So what was wrong on your transmission?

Dave